Wednesday, April 09, 2008

R.I.P. Charlton Heston

On Sunday, Charlton Heston died. He was 84.

The man who played and epitomized Moses--and for whom Pastor Dick Bernal often alluded to from the pulpit on Sunday's and in the pages of his published books--was the last of the old school patriotic Hollywood actors. Lordy, he was a fine actor and a fine American. Charlton Heston was also terrific in the Sci-Fi classics like, Planet of the Apes and Soylent Green, --anyone remember those?I mourn the death of Heston. He was a good American, oh, yes, a consummate total actor: Heston could play any part, from Moses, John the Baptist, even a washed up NFL football player. I wish Heston could just once have declared in one of his movies:

"Aaron, give me my staff, that the Lord hath given me, so that I may smite those Leftists."

Hollywood now is forcing upon us lightweights like George Clooney and Brad Pitt. (Clooney has another bomb on his list of failed movies.) Why are these men "movie stars"?

Mr. Heston:
You were the best actor of two generations. Thank you for all your great performances over the years. As you walk through the pearly gates of heaven, please notice the gentleman sitting at the table to the right. Ronald Reagan frequents that table and meets new friends. Please tell him I say hello.

Well sir, Heaven just acquired another great film actor. And now you can see the Burning Bush in real life.

No comments: